7 Interesting Facts About Carrots + Recipe
This Sunday at the Power of Produce Club, children will be participating in a cooking demo to make carrot coleslaw! Teaching children at a young age how to cook is a valuable skill that they will take with them throughout their life. Sometimes it can be hard for kids to eat their vegetables, so having them get hands on and create something of their own is a great way to get them to try new foods. Kids are more likely to try something they made themselves especially when they are having fun doing so!
Here are some interesting facts about carrots:
- You can leave them in the ground all winter. You can either keep carrots over the winter and harvest in the spring or harvest continuously throughout the winter.
- Carrots were first grown in Afghanistan.
- Carrots are made up of 88% water.
- Carrots come in many different colours.
- Cooking carrots is better than eating them raw because it releases hidden pockets of beta carotene which is very good for you.
- Carrots contain the richest source of beta-carotene.
- Carrots have seeds.
Here’s the recipe that we’ll be trying out:
- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parley
- 2 finely sliced scallions
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- First make your dressing by combining ingredients above in a bowl and mix well to emulsify. You can make this dressing as sweet or tart as your heart desires! All you have to do is adjust the honey, salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, parsley and scallions. Pour about 1/3 of the dressing over the salad. Toss to coat and add extra dressing, to taste.
Come join us this Sunday at the Port Moody Market so the POP kids can come and try making this recipe!
Hope to see you there!
If you haven’t yet registered for the program this season, make sure you visit the POP tent to get started!
Learn more about the program here: POP Kids Club