Seed Planting with Kids
Did you know…
Gardening is great for curious children who like to learn by doing and enjoy playing in the dirt, it can also be a fun activity for both you and your children to enjoy together! Gardening helps develop skills and allows children to learn from growing their own food. Planting with children engages their senses, encourages healthy eating, teaches them about where fresh food comes from, and promotes the importance of taking care of nature and the environment.
Tips for gardening with kids:
- Plant the rainbow! It is fun to have a range of colours growing in your garden
- Plant foods that you know that they enjoy, but also new foods to try as well
- Plant a range of textures to engage their senses
- Some quick growing plants include: lettuce, radishes, and cherry tomatoes
Tips for growing beans:
- Feed and water well
- Put in a place that gets sunlight
- Beans do well in pots
- If planting pole beans, give them a support to climb
We will be planting bean seeds this Sunday May 5th at the POP Club! Learn more about the POP club here and visit us at the market to sign up!
Children will plant beans, learn how to take care of their future seedlings, and take them home to watch them grow!
The POP Club is a farmer’s market-based kids program. Children (ages 5 – 12 years old) will learn about fruits and vegetables, local food systems and healthy food preparation through fun activities all season long.
Each week children will earn a $3 market token to use towards any fruit or vegetable of their choice. There is no cost to participate and the program runs every Sunday rain or shine!