Kale Yeah! The Health Benefits of Kale
This Sunday at the Power of Produce Club, children will be participating in a cooking demo to make a healthy kale salad! It can be difficult to get children excited about eating their vegetables, so a fun way to do so is to get them more involved in the process. They will learn valuable skills that will help them understand the importance of cooking their own food and how delicious fresh produce really is. Having kids join in on the cooking process can make it more exciting and enjoyable for them. Plus, they are more likely to try something that they created themselves. Even if it’s a vegetable that they would normally turn their nose up to like kale!
Kale is actually one of the worlds most healthiest foods since its packed with so many nutrients!
Here are some interesting facts about kale:
- Kale is a green, leafy, winter vegetable that is high in fiber.
- It has more nutritional value than spinach.
- The potassium content of kale may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- The nutrients it contains support healthy skin, hair and bones.
- The fiber content enhances digestion and contributes to cardiovascular health.
- It is a good source of vitamin c and iron.
- It contains fiber, antioxidants, calcium, vitamin k and more.
Here’s the recipe that we’ll be trying out:
Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing
- 5 cups of chopped kale
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp honey
- First make your dressing by combining ingredients above in a bowl and mix well to emulsify. You can make this dressing as sweet or tart as your heart desires! All you have to do is adjust the honey, salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine kale, carrots and onion. Pour about 1/3 of the dressing over the salad. Toss to coat and add extra dressing, to taste.
Come join us this Sunday at the Port Moody Market so the POP kids can come and try making this recipe!
Hope to see you there!
If you haven’t yet registered for the program this season, make sure you visit the POP tent to get started!
Learn more about the program here: POP Kids Club