We’re Hiring! Assistant Market Manager
Grow Local Society invites applications for the Assistant Market Manager position. Reporting to the Market Manager, the Assistant Market Manager is responsible for events and programs to enhance the experience at the farmers markets, and the onsite operation of our weekly, outdoor farmers markets.
About the Grow Local Society:
Grow Local Society (GLS) is a non-profit, volunteer driven organization whose mandate is to create a resilient food system through community engagement. We operate two farmers markets in the Tri-Cities, as well as several food security projects.
On Market Day:
- May-October attends weekly Sunday markets (7am-3pm), and Wednesday markets (1pm-7pm)
- November-April attends weekly Sunday markets (8am-3pm)
- Responsible for the set up and tear down of market site logistics, including: putting up directional signs in the surrounding community, picking up and returning materials and product from storage, setting up and taking down tents, tables, banners, and other market day materials.
- Onsite market lead on Wednesdays at Port Moody Farmers Market
- Manages market information tent
- Manages virtual workshops and youth engagement programs
- Manages market staff and volunteers, community groups, and entertainers
- Acts as vendor contact when Market Manager is on vacation – loading in vendors, collecting fees, answer inquiries.
- Positively handles concerns and queries
- Provides market information to shoppers and vendors
- Positively represents the Coquitlam Farmers Market and Port Moody Farmers Market to the community
Beyond Market Day:
- Organizes activities, and educational initiatives to be held at the market and beyond
- Develops, plans, and implements special events and workshops
- Manages membership program
- Manages volunteer program – including recruitment, scheduling and oversight, and recognition
- Maintains market equipment, including market van, to ensure all is in working order
- Manages and fulfills supply needs for the market, including but not limited to, items for coffee service, craft materials, workshop supplies, and other miscellaneous items.
- Coordinates and recruits weekly entertainers and community groups
- Maintains CFM website – including event and workshop listings and vendor updates and weekly activity
- Creates social media content including posts, vendor features, and event and workshop listings
- Composes and distributes monthly market newsletter
We are looking for someone who:
- Has excellent and creative event planning skills
- Enjoys working in a fast paced environment and being outside in all weather conditions
- Enjoys physical labor and getting their hands dirty
- Has strong time management skills and is detail oriented
- Has excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Is self directed, reliable, responsible, and flexible
- Can lift up to 10kgs of equipment
- Holds a valid BC drivers license with a good driving record and has the ability to drive the market van to and from market, and store van during the week.
The ideal candidate will also have the following characteristics:
- An interest and/or experience in the local food movement, food security issues, and community
- Familiarity with the Tri-Cities area is an asset
- Experience of familiarity with the not-for-profit sector
Terms of Contract:
- This is a salaried, part time position
- 24hrs/wk – $20/hr + 4% vacation pay
- Hours may increase to 32hrs/wk in the summer
- This position is a remote work position.
Please forward a cover letter and resume, describing how your background/experience meets the above criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.