Meal Prep Monday: Veggie Shepherd’s Pie
Veggie Shepherd’s Pie Directions
From the Market:
- Bag of Nettles
- Bag of Mushrooms
- 20 small potatoes
- 4 carrots
Golden Ears Cheese
Amazing Foods BC
- Dal Lentil Soup Mix
- 1 medium onion
- 3 celery stocks
- peas/green beans
- 4 cups stock
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 can black beans
- Dice onion, celery and carrots into small bite size pieces (break apart any large mushroom chunks)
- Dice Potatoes (peel’s on) in even cubes. Add enough cold water to cover by 1″.
- Set aside 1 cup of fresh or frozen peas or green beans
- Mix 3 tbsp of cornstarch with 1/4cup water and dissolve.
- Bring pot of potatoes to a gentle boil, test for doneness every 5 min by piercing with a knife tip.
- Cook Quinoa and set aside
- The absorption method works best. 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups cold water. Bring to simmer uncovered on medium heat. When the pot is tipped to the side and no more water is noticeable, cover the pot with a lid and turn heat off. Rest Quinoa for 5 min, remove lid and fluff with fork.
- Add 3 tbsp oil to the pan, simmer onions, carrots and celery until tender.
- Add dry nettles, mushrooms and peas/beans to pan
- Add entire Dal Lentil Soup mix and seasoning packet to pan
- Add enough stock to mixture to cover all ingredients
- Simmer and stir until lentils are fully cooked (approx 8 min) *Add more stock if needed
- Check potatoes, when they are done drain and return to the hot pot, cover and let the potatoes “steam” for an additional 5 min. Mash. Add enough butter and stock of choice to get smooth texture. Season with salt to taste.
- When veggie mixture is cooked add 1 cup cooked quinoa (set aside the extra quinoa for a different meal)
- Stir cornstarch liquid and add to the pan. Keep at simmer and stir constantly for 3 minutes, mixture should thicken. If not add another 1tbsp cornstarch and water mix at a time until thick.
- Season to taste. Add salt, pepper and any other preferred spices
Classic > Thyme and garlic
Mediterranean > Cumin and Oregano
Indian> Garam masala and tomato paste
- Add veggie mixture to dish(es), top with potatoes
*Optional garnish: Sprinkle nutritional yeast, paprika or shredded cheese to the top*