The Coquitlam Farmers Market invites applications for the Assistant Market Manager position. Reporting to the Market Manager, the Assistant Market Manager is responsible for ensuring the smooth onsite operation of our weekly, outdoor farmers markets.
About the Coquitlam Farmers Market:
Coquitlam Farmers Market (CFM) is a non-profit, volunteer driven organization and is one of the longest running suburban farmers markets in the Lower Mainland, our beginnings rooted in a community economic development project initiated by SFU students in 1996.
On Market Day:
• May-October attends weekly Sunday markets (7am-3pm)
• November-April attends weekly Sunday markets (8am-3pm)
• Responsible for the set up and tear down of market site logistics, including: putting up directional
signs in the surrounding community, picking up and returning materials and product from storage,
setting up and taking down tents, tables, banners, and other market day materials.
• Acts as vendor contact when Market Manager is on vacation – loading in vendors, collecting fees,
• Manages market information tent and kids’ craft area
• Manages special events at market
• Manages workshop tent on workshop days
• Manages market staff and volunteers, community groups, and entertainers
• Positively handles concerns and queries
• Provides market information to shoppers and vendors
• Positively represents the Coquitlam Farmers Market to the community
Beyond Market Day:
• Organizes activities, and educational initiatives to be held at the market and beyond
• Develops, plans, and implements special events and workshops
• Manages membership program
• Manages volunteer program – including recruitment, scheduling and oversight, and recognition
• Maintains market equipment, including market van, to ensure all is in working order
• Manages and fulfills supply needs for the market, including but not limited to, items for coffee service,
craft materials, workshop supplies, and other miscellaneous items.
• Coordinates and recruits weekly entertainers and community groups
• Maintains CFM website – including event and workshop listings and vendor updates and weekly
• Creates social media content including posts, vendor features, and event and workshop listings
• Composes and distributes monthly market newsletter
• Works from home office on projects for the season.
We are looking for someone who:
• Has excellent and creative event planning skills
• Enjoys working in a fast paced environment and being outside in all weather conditions
• Enjoys physical labor and getting their hands dirty
• Has strong time management skills and is detail oriented
• Has excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills
• Is self directed, reliable, responsible, and flexible
• Can lift up to 10kgs of equipment
• Holds a valid BC drivers license with a good driving record and has the ability to drive the market van
to and from market, and store van during the week.
The ideal candidate will also have the following characteristics:
• An interest and/or experience in the local food movement, food security issues, and community • Familiarity with the Tri-Cities area is an asset
• Experience of familiarity with the not-for-profit sector
Terms of Contract:
• This is a salaried, part time position
• 24hrs/wk – $17/hr + 4% vacation pay
Please forward a cover letter and resume, describing how your background/experience meets the above criteria to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.