Here Comes Fall
The rain has started to fall and the leaves are changing colours which can only mean one thing, Fall is fast approaching! The Fall season starts on September 23rd this year and brings changes to the market, we will slowly begin to see less fruit and more autumn vegetables become available. Below are some recipes to welcome Fall and all the fresh produce it has to offer, shop the market for ingredients this Sunday, September 22nd!
Oven Roasted Root Vegetables
- 1 lb beets, red or golden, trimmed and scrubbed
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 1 large yam, peeled
- 1 large parsnip, peeled
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1/2 red onion
- 6-8 whole garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Cut vegetables into 1 ½ inch chunks. Toss vegetables in a large bowl with garlic cloves, thyme leaves, and 3 tbsp olive oil till evenly coated.
2. Spread the veggies out in an even layer and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
3. Roast the vegetables in the hot oven for about 45 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking, until vegetables are tender and starting to turn golden. Serve hot. (recipe from www.toriavey.com)
Autumn Fruit Salad
- 2 medium pears, diced
- 2 medium apples, diced
- 1 cup grapes, halved
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
1. Place pears, apples, and grapes in a large bowl. Toss gently to combine. Set aside.
2. To a small bowl, add the yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Use a wire whisk to blend well.
3. Drizzle dressing over the fruit. Toss gently until fruit is coated. Scoop into bowls and sprinkle with pecans. Serve immediately. (recipe from www.kitchentreaty.com)
On Sunday, September 22 our POP Club kids will be doing a Fall Scavenger Hunt around the market. Learn more about the POP Club here and visit us at the market to register.
The POP Club is a farmer’s market-based kids program. Children (ages 5 – 12 years old) will learn about fruits and vegetables, local food systems and healthy food preparation through fun activities all season long.
Each week children will earn a $3 market token to use towards any fruit or vegetable of their choice. There is no cost to participate and the program runs every Sunday rain or shine!